Veterans Admission & Services

The Skyline College Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides a space for veterans, service members, reservists, and dependents of veterans to connect with peers and access support resources. The VRC Staff is available to provide information on appropriate campus and community services, assist with access to educational benefits and help support a successful transition to college life for military connected students. The center is dedicated to promoting superb support services for personal growth, development, and educational success. For further information visit Veterans Resources Center (VRC).

VA Education Benefits

Skyline College offers instruction to veterans, service members, dependents and survivors of veterans, and to other eligible persons. The college assists students who are working toward an AA/AS degree, or certain transfer programs, with certification of benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapters 30, (Veterans), Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment), Chapter 33 (the Post-9/11 GI Bill®), Chapter 35 (Veterans’ Spouses or Dependents), Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve), Chapter 1607, and VEAP. All veterans and/or dependents, except those under Chapters 31 and 33, pay for their own college tuition/fees. Veterans using Chapter 31 work with the School Certifying Official and campus bookstore to secure books and supplies.

Visit Veterans Resources Center (VRC) and click on Educational Benefits or connect with the Veterans Resource Center to learn about applying for VA Educational Benefits and the certification process. Veterans may check the status of VA Educational Benefits at

The State of California provides a program for the children of veterans who are deceased or disabled from service connected causes. Applications and eligibility criteria are available at or from the San Mateo County Veterans Service Office, 550 Quarry Road, San Carlos, CA 94070, (650) 802-6598.

(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Transcripts and VA Education Benefits Certification

In the first semester of attendance, Veterans and military-connected students must submit official copies of all previously-attended colleges and their Joint Services Transcript (JST). 

Those utilizing VA Educational Benefits who have indicated that they attended an outside institution and/or have Military Transcript on CCCApply and completed matriculation will receive a Transcript Evaluation Success Plan in Student Success Link. To view your success plan and check for updates, please log into mySMCCCD Student Portal: and select “Student Success Link” within your first semester of attendance to avoid overpayment from the VA.

Academic Probation and VA Education Certification

College policy regarding Academic Probation applies to all students and is available in the current catalog's Academic Standards section. In addition, students using VA education benefits placed on Academic Probation for failure to maintain a 2.0 grade point average must improve their GPA within the following two semesters or the college is required to report a termination of the veteran’s education benefits due to unsatisfactory academic progress (as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs). More information is available from the Veterans Certifying Official in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Military Service Credit

San Mateo County Community College District will award credit for completion of basic military training. Other official documentation verifying basic training may be considered in awarding military service credit. Qualifying students are:

  • Exempted from the associate degree physical education requirement;
  • Awarded 3 units of credit for the associate degree general education Area E (Lifelong Learning & Self-Development) at Skyline College and Cañada College; and Area E5D (Career Exploration & Self Development) at College of San Mateo; or
  • Awarded 3 units of credit for California State University Area E (Lifelong Understanding & Self-Development) General Education Breadth requirement.
  • Additionally, students will be awarded six units of associate degree applicable elective credit.

Note: In the first semester of attendance, eligible students must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST), or other official documentation verifying Basic Training (BP 6.18). All students with a Joint Services Transcript must request an official copy from the  Joint Services Transcript website to be sent to your SMCCD home college.

Electronic Transcripts (Preferred) OR by Mail:

College of San Mateo
Attn: Transcript Evaluation Services
1700 W Hillsdale Blvd.
San Mateo, CA 94402

Students can view their Transcript Evaluation Success Plan and check for updates, by logging into mySMCCCD Student Portal and selecting “Student Success Link.”

  • Students intending to transfer to a four-year college or university should consult with their college counselor to determine how basic military training (boot camp) may be applied toward transfer admission credit.
  • Credit earned for prior learning will be clearly identified in the student's academic record, and these units will not be counted in determining the 12-unit residency requirement for the associate degree. Students intending to transfer to a four-year college or university should consult with their college counselor to determine how basic military training (boot camp) may be applied toward transfer admission credit. (Title 5: 55050)

Military Withdrawal

Military withdrawal may be requested when a student who is a member of an active or reserve United States military service receives orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Upon verification of such orders, a military withdrawal symbol (MW) will be assigned for each course if the withdrawal occurs after the period during which no notation is made for withdrawals on the student’s record. Military withdrawals are not counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations. Students granted military withdrawal may request a refund of the enrollment fee. The entire enrollment fee will be refunded unless academic credit has been awarded.