Steps to Enrollment

Students must complete the following Student Success Support Program (SSSP) steps before registering for classes if one of the following educational goals is selected on your application:

  • Obtain an Associate Degree or Certificate
  • Transfer to a university to complete a Bachelor’s degree
  • Improve your English, reading, or math skills
  • Discover career interests or prepare for a new career
  • Undecided about your major

Current high school students may be admitted to courses when their high school schedule permits attendance and when there is reasonable expectation of success in the courses. Students attending high school may register concurrently for Skyline College classes. To get started, interested students must follow the Concurrent Enrollment Steps.

    ALL new or former students applying to Skyline College must complete an online application to enroll in classes. Applications may be submitted online through Open CCC at Upon completion of the online application a User ID and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) are issued which allow access to WebSMART.

    Students who are US Citizens or Eligible Non-Citizens can apply for all types of Financial Aid at Students who meet the AB540, AB2000, or SB68 exemption requirements can apply for the California Dream Act at
    Skyline College offers both in-person and online orientation to new students. New students are provided information about Orientation after completing their application. Both types of orientations cover important college policies and procedures, specific information about certificate, degree and transfer goals, and useful resources that help students be successful in achieving their goals. To register for Orientation please visit: http://www.skyline or call (650) 738-4318.

    NOTE: Skyline College offers ESOL New Student Orientations, for details, please contact the Counseling Center.


    English, Math, and English as a Second Language (ESOL) Assessment

    All new and returning students who declare an educational goal of a Certificate, Associate Degree, and/or transfer to a four-year college or university, or plan to take an English, ESOL, and/or Math course at Skyline College, may need to assess your skill level in English, ESOL, and/or Math before you register for classes.

    Skyline College offers students assessment through multiple measures to determine appropriate English, ESOL, and Math placement(s). Assessments determine your skill level in reading, writing, and mathematics. For additional information about placement testing, testing exemptions, and multiple measures assessment, visit

    New students will meet with a counselor as an important step in the enrollment process. Skyline College’s counseling service assist students in establishing their educational goals and identifying support services to achieve those goals. It is important to meet with a counselor each semester to:

    1. Develop/update your Student Education Plan (SEP)
      1. New Students must meet with a counselor to receive a registration date for WebSMART
      2. Continuing students must have a current SEP on file to be eligible for priority registration
    2. Discuss your academic progress
    3. Continue to learn about and use important student services that enhance student success
    4. Discuss any personal issues that may be impacting academic success

    The Counseling Center provides comprehensive services for students who seek assistance in dealing with a variety of concerns. For more information, please visit:

    Students register for classes through WebSMART at all three San Mateo County Community College District campuses: Skyline College, College of San Mateo, and Canada College. Fees are due at the time of registration. You may pay fees online by credit card or in person by credit card, cash, personal check or money order.

    Before the end of the first semester at SkylineCollege, submit official transcripts from allexternal institutions. If applicable, submit military Joint Services Transcript (JST) from website. Send your JST, along with academic transcripts from all previous colleges attended, to

Modified SSSP services are available for students with disabilities. For more information contact the Educational Access Center (EAC) at 650-738-4280.