The goal of the International Student Program is to provide educational opportunities for international students and to promote intercultural understanding in the Skyline College community.
F-1 Student Program
The following regulations govern the admission of F-1 Visa students to Skyline College:
- Have the ability to pay international student application, tuition and health insurance fees. The Cost of Attendance provides the current list of fees.
- Complete a full course of study (a minimum of 12 units each Fall and Spring semester). In accordance with Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) regulations, failure to do so will cause a student to be reported as out of status.
- Meet criteria for admission:
- Submit a completed International Student Application.
- Demonstrate English proficiency with a minimum TOEFL score of 56 internet based, IELTS of 5.5, or Duolingo English Test of 85.
- Must have earned the equivalent of an American high school diploma. The student must submit copies of official academic records. Foreign language documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Student must be at least 16 years old.
- Must offer evidence of financial responsibility. Financial document(s) must show funds of at least $29,000 dated no earlier than 3 months before the date students apply. The document must be in English or be accompanied by a certified English translation. The name(s) on your financial document(s) must match the sponsor name(s) listed on your online application.
- Enroll in a medical health insurance plan provided by a private carrier through the San Mateo County Community College District.
- Comply with SEVIS regulations that pertain to F-1 Visa students.
- Please refer to https://skylinecollege.edu/international for more information.
Global Online Learning (GOL) Program
The Global Online Learning (GOL) program is a distance education program for students outside the U.S. GOL allows students over 18 and high school graduates to obtain course credits that are accepted by 140+ universities in our College University Partnership (CUP). GOL courses are offered through San Mateo Colleges of Silicon Valley and will be taught by American professors. Please refer to https://smccd.edu/international/gol.php for more information.
University Access Program (UAP) Program
The University Access Program (UAP) is a 6-week program (June-July)/ 8-week or 9-week program (October-December) designed for international students to strengthen their English and prepare for their higher education studies at American Universities. Please refer to https://skylinecollege.edu/international/uap.php for more information.
F-1 Visa Concurrent Enrollment
Students enrolled full time at another institution from which they have a valid I-20 are permitted to enroll at Skyline College on a part-time basis. F-1 Visa students must pay all appropriate fees. A permission letter from the home school is required for every semester of attendance.
The International Student Program faculty and staff have identified the following Student Learning Outcomes for the various services provided by the International Student Program:
- International students at Skyline College will demonstrate their understanding of the SEVIS/immigration regulation for maintaining their legal status.
- International students at Skyline College will maintain good academic standings by utilizing academic advising as well as other academic resources provided by the College.
- International students at Skyline College will reach their educational goal within 2-3 years whether it is a university transfer or degree/certificate completion.
- International students at Skyline College will be actively engaged in the campus community.