Student Success & Support Program
Skyline College’s Student Success and Support Program (SSSP) is designed to provide support for students to complete their college courses, persist to the next academic term, and achieve their educational objectives.
As part of the SSSP, students agree to express a broad educational intent at the time of admission; declare a specific educational objective within a reasonable period of enrollment; complete the placement test or other assessments; confer with counselors for registration approval and discussion of educational and vocational choices; attend classes and complete assigned course work; seek out support services as needed; and complete courses and maintain progress toward an educational goal.
The State of California mandated SSSP services require that all new, non-exempt, matriculated students to Skyline College shall complete the “5 Steps to Enrollment” as provided by the College. The intent of these core services is to increase your opportunity for success in your academic pursuits. You are required to become a matriculated student unless you meet the exemption criteria.
You are a matriculated or non-exempt student if you have completed the core services of orientation, assessment process, and have met with a counselor to complete an abbreviated or comprehensive student education plan. All new, non-exempt students are required to complete all of the core services.
You are an exempt student if one or more of the following reasons apply and you can provide the necessary documentation:
- You have completed an AA/AS or higher degree
- You are enrolling at the college for a reason other than career development or advancement, transfer, attainment of a degree or certificate of achievement, or completion of a basic skills or English as Second Language course sequence
- You have completed these services at another community college within a time period identified by the district
- You are enrolling at the college solely to take a course that is legally mandated for employment or necessary in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standards
- You are enrolling at the college as a special admit student pursuant to Education Code section 76001.
Any student exempt from orientation, assessment, counseling, advising, or student educational plan development may still participate in the core services (title 5, section 5532c).
District policies shall not exempt a student solely because a student has not selected an education and career goal or course of study (title 5, section 5532d).
You may be considered exempt from the core service requirements by completing the Student Success & Support Program Exemption Petition provided by the College. You will be asked to provide a completed petition and supporting documentation for consideration.