An Associate in Arts in History for Transfer (AA-T) from Skyline College is intended for students who are interested in transferring to a California State University (CSU) campus with a major in History, or similar major. History degrees are often preparation for careers in education, law or the Foreign Service. Additionally, this degree develops key critical thinking skills and enhances the student's ability to participate fully and meaningfully as a citizen in a democracy.
Students completing an AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor's degree. This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or university or a college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a Skyline College counselor for further information on university admissions and transfer requirements. A grade of "C" or better, or "Pass" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis, is required for each course applied to the major. Major course requirements may also be applied to meet general education requirements.
To earn an AA-T degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units;
- Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework;
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. A "P" (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their counselor before enrolling in a major course on a Pass/No Pass basis, as some CSUs may have limitations on which major courses can be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
- A minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence at Skyline College.
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral Communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Note: Students do not need to complete the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements. For further information, please consult a Skyline College counselor.
|List B: (Select one course from Area 1 and one course from Area 2):||Units|
|HIST 104 *||World Civilizations I||3 units|
|HIST 106 *||World Civilizations II||3 units|
|HIST 235||History of Ethnic Groups in the United States||3 units|
|HIST 240||History of Ethnic Groups in California||3 units|
|HIST 244||African American History||3 units|
|HIST 248||Women and The American Experience||3 units|
|HIST 335||History and Politics of the Middle East||3 units|
|HIST 435||History of the Philippines||3 units|
|HIST 436||Filipinos in America||3 units|
|HIST 420||Survey of Latin American History||3 units|
|HIST 429||History of Latin@s/x in the United States||3 units|
|HIST 203||The United States Since 1945||3 units|
|HIST 310||California History||3 units|
|GEOG 110||Cultural Geography||3 units|
|GEOG 150||World Regional Geography||3 units|
|PLSC 210||American Politics||3 units|
General Education - certified completion of one of the following:
- California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth),
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Up to (12) major units may be double counted to meet general education requirements. This degree does not require the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements.
Elective courses: If applicable, additional courses to meet the minimum 60 CSU transferable units requirement.
Please refer to Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Requirements for more information.