The College's Automotive Technology program is certified by the Automotive Service
Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation. Students completing the program will be prepared
to take all eight Automotive Service Exams (ASE) in the Automotive Technology Program
giving them the additional certification desired in the industry when they seek employment.
In addition, students who complete AUTO 713, 734, 751 and 752 will be able to obtain
a California Smog Check Technician License. Visit the Automotive Service Excellence
(ASE) Education Foundation website for more information at http://www.aseeducationfoundation.org/ and the California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair at
The program is conducted in a well-equipped facility with a large fleet of late model
domestic and import vehicles. Automobile manufacturers provide substantial support
for the program.
Students can pursue a certificate or degree in Automotive Technology through our Automotive
Global Pathway. Our partnerships with Nissan of America, Audi of America, Subaru
of America, Serramonte Ford, Mercedes Benz and local independent repair businesses
provide employment opportunities for students enrolled in our programs. Skyline College
Automotive Program also provides numerous classes to update the knowledge and skills
of practicing technicians.
Skyline College's Automotive Program is accredited by:
Automotive Service Excellence Education Foundation
1503 Edwards Ferry Rd., NE
Leesburg, VA 20176
Telephone: (703) 669-6650
ADMISSION PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
Applications must be received by April 15 for the fall semester and by November 1
for the spring semester. All documents should be submitted to the Automotive Department
office. Applications received after the deadline will be assigned the next available number
on a waiting list according to the date received. Applicants with complete applications
will be informed of the status of their applications within two weeks of the next
semester beginning date. Applicants are responsible for submitting the following:
- Completed Skyline College application.
- Completed Automotive Technology Program Application.
- Documented proof of prior experience. All statements must be substantiated by attached
documents of verification (a transcript or letter from employer). Such documentation
may come from one or more of the following:
- One semester of AUTO 710 or AUTO 711 at Skyline College (or equivalent from another
community college) with a grade of "C" or better. (Submit a copy of your final grade
report with your application or a letter from your instructor.)
- One year of high school automotive training with a grade of "C" or better (verified
by official transcript).
- One year of full-time related work experience with accompanying letter of verification
from employer specifying employment dates and duties. Depending on the job description
and duties performed, an Automotive fundamentals exam with a passing score may be
required for acceptance.
- Students must demonstrate Math proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Successful completion of one year of a U.S. high school Elementary Algebra course.
The final course in the term must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. (Submit a copy of your high school transcript with the application)*; or
- Successful completion of a college Elementary Algebra, or higher level course, with
a grade of "C" or better (Submit a copy of your college transcript with the application); or
- Demonstrated placement at the Intermediate Algebra level, or higher, on the Skyline
College Math Placement Test. (Submit a copy of your Math placement result (found in WebSMART) with the application.)
- Students must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Successful completion of one year of a U.S. high school senior English course. The
final course in the term must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. (Submit a copy of your high school transcript with the application.)*; or
- Successful completion of a college-level writing course, with a grade of "C" or better
(Submit a copy of your college transcript with the application)**; or
- Successful completion of ESOL 400, or equivalent, with a grade of "C" or better (Submit a copy of your college transcript with the application.); or
- Demonstrated placement at a college-level ENGL writing course on the Skyline College
English Placement Test. (Submit a copy of the English placement result (found on WebSMART) with the application.)
*Note: Students enrolled in the second term of their senior English and/or Math course by
the application deadline may submit a high school transcript showing successful completion
of the first term of a senior English and/or Math course with a grade of "C" or better.
A final high school transcript showing successful completion of the second term of
the senior English and/or math course, with a grade of "C" or better, must be submitted
by July 1st.
NOTE: Minimum requirements may be lowered at the discretion of the selection committee
depending on the number of available seats and the number of applicants.
If the program is impacted, there may be a waiting list. The applicant will be notified
by email of application and enrollment status. Students who are unable to enroll during
the current semester due to the program being impacted and wish to be considered for
the following semester should notify the Automotive Department to forward their application.
For further information on the Automotive Program, please call (650) 738-4438.