Requirements For The Associate In Arts For Transfer (AA-T) Or Associates In Science For Transfer AS-T

California Community Colleges offer Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT). These include an Associate in Arts (AA-T) or an Associate in Science (AS-T) degree. These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses.

Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120- unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units. To view the most current list of Skyline College Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, please visit the Transfer Center website. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

Requirements for the Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, codified in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an Associate Degree for Transfer. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.

The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:

  1. Complete a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
  2. Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
  3. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an “AA-T” or “AS-T” major as detailed in the Degrees/ Certificates section of the catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better. A “P” (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their counselor before enrolling in a major course on a Pass/No Pass basis, as some CSUs may have limitations on which major courses can be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
  4. Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
  5. A minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence at Skyline College.

Note: Per state legislation, students pursuing an AA-T/AS-T are only required to meet the major, CSU GE or IGETC, and a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units. No additional requirements are needed.

Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. When planning to complete the degree, students should consult with a counselor for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.