Transfer Admission Procedures
Steps for Transfer to a Four-Year Institution
Students should take the following steps to apply for admission as a transfer student to a four-year college or university:
- Meet with your Skyline College counselor early, and throughout, your education to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP). The SEP will provide you with a clear pathway for transfer.
- Submit an admissions application to your intended transfer institution approximately one year in advance of planned transfer. Applications for the University of California and the California State University are available online at the following web sites:
- Submit completed application during the specified filing period. Students are discouraged from sending them early as they will not be accepted before the initial filing date.
- If an entrance exam (SAT, ACT) is required for transfer admission, register for the exam at least six months in advance of transfer.
- Submit a request to the Skyline College Office of Admissions and Records to have a transcript of your academic record sent to the transfer institution at the time(s) specified by that institution. Transcripts must be requested well in advance of the date required. Four-year colleges and universities will also require transcripts of work completed at ALL educational institutions.
- After admitted to a CSU or UC campus, request a CSU GE or IGETC certification to be sent with your final transcript.
Transcript Evaluation and Course Substitution Service
Students are strongly advised to use the transcript evaluation service to determine how course work from other colleges/universities can be incorporated into their transfer planning. The Transcript Evaluation Service is available to students who are currently registered in 6 or more units in the San Mateo Community College District. A transcript evaluation provides important information to the student and counselor about how course work completed at other colleges and universities will be applied to the following Skyline College educational goals.
- California State University General Education Certification – CSU GE
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum – IGETC Certification
- Skyline College Associate Degree General Education requirements
- Skyline College Major or Certificate requirements.
Detailed instructions for students on how to use this service can be found at http://smccd.edu/transeval.