An Associate in Arts in Sociology for Transfer (AA-T) from Skyline College is intended for students who are interested in transferring to a California State University (CSU) campus with a major in Sociology, or similar major. Students completing this degree will be equipped with Sociological Imagination that enables them to critically analyze their everyday personal experiences in relation to the larger social structure. A major in sociology will offer a preparation to students planning upper-division work in sociology, psychology, political science, and other fields of social sciences. In addition, a sociological education is an excellent background for occupational training in law, medicine, business, education, law enforcement, and social work. It is also an ideal choice for students considering careers in the private sector, government, and non-profit community organizations.
Students completing an AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor's degree. This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or university or a college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a Skyline College counselor for further information on university admissions and transfer requirements. A grade of "C" or better, or "Pass" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis, is required for each course applied to the major. Major course requirements may also be applied to meet general education requirements.
To earn an AA-T degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units;
- Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework;
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. A "P" (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their counselor before enrolling in a major course on a Pass/No Pass basis, as some CSUs may have limitations on which major courses can be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral Communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Note: Students do not need to complete the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements. For further information, please consult a Skyline College counselor.
|Required Core (9-10 units)||Units|
|SOCI 100||Introduction to Sociology||3 units|
General Education - certified completion of one of the following:
- California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth),
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Up to (9 - 12) major course units may be double counted to apply to meet general education requirements. This degree does not require the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements.
Elective courses: If applicable, additional courses to meet the minimum 60 CSU transferable units requirement.
Please refer to Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Requirements for more information.