An Associate in Science in Physics for Transfer (AS-T) from Skyline College is intended for students who are interested in transferring to a California State University (CSU) campus with a major in Physics, or similar majors. The program is designed to teach students analytical skills, mathematical techniques and knowledge of physics in both the theoretical and experimental domains, as appropriate to prepare students for subsequent upper division course work in the same or similar arenas. The theoretical foundation is laid for mechanics, oscillations and waves, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics and modern physics. In laboratory, students are introduced to various measurement techniques and instruments including computerized data collection, and learn to model data and interpret it statistically to produce appropriate conclusions about the natural world. The program will produce students well prepared to transfer to the California State University (CSU) system to undertake a study of upper division theoretical and/or experimental course work in Physics.
Students completing an AS-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor's degree. This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or university or a college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a Skyline College counselor for further information on university admissions and transfer requirements. A grade of "C" or better, or "Pass" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis, is required for each course applied to the major. Major course requirements may also be applied to meet general education requirements.
To earn an AS-T degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units;
- Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework;
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. A "P" (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their counselor before enrolling in a major course on a Pass/No Pass basis, as some CSUs may have limitations on which major courses can be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
- A minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence at Skyline College.
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral Communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Note: Students do not need to complete the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements. For further information, please consult a Skyline College counselor.
|PHYS 250||Physics with Calculus I||4 units|
|PHYS 260||Physics with Calculus II||4 units|
|PHYS 270||Physics with Calculus III||4 units|
|MATH 251||Calculus with Analytic Geometry I||5 units|
|MATH 252||Calculus with Analytic Geometry II||5 units|
|MATH 253||Calculus with Analytic Geometry III||5 units|
General Education - certified completion of one of the following:
- California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth),
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1C).
Up to (6) major course units may be double counted to apply to meet general education requirements. This degree does not require the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements.
Elective courses: If applicable, additional courses to meet the minimum 60 CSU transferable units requirement.
Please refer to Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Requirements for more information.