An Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer (AA-T) from Skyline College is intended for students who are interested in transferring to a California State University (CSU) campus with a major in Early Childhood Education, or similar major. The Elementary Teacher Education (AA-T) acknowledges that the student has established a foundation of interdisciplinary knowledge in the field of Education.
The Skyline College Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer is designed to meet the introductory content area subject matter requirements for teaching at the elementary school level. Aside from "Intrduction to Elementary Education" and "Child Development," the majority of courses within this degree are general educatin courses necessry for teaching Transitional kindergarten to 5th grade curriculum.
Students completing an AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor's degree. This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or university or a college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a Skyline College counselor for further information on university admissions and transfer requirements. A grade of "C" or better, or "Pass" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis, is required for each course applied to the major. Major course requirements may also be applied to meet general education requirements.
To earn an AA-T degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU transferable units;
- Earn a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework;
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. A "P" (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with their counselor before enrolling in a major course on a Pass/No Pass basis, as some CSUs may have limitations on which major courses can be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
Advising Note: Students planning to transfer to a CSU (California State University) campus MUST complete an Oral Communication (COMM) course (CSU Minimum Admissions Requirement). Oral Communication courses are noted in the following GE areas: CSU GE (Area A1) or IGETC (Area 1A).
Note: Students do not need to complete the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements. For further information, please consult a Skyline College counselor.
|Required Core Courses (42-44 units)||Units|
|EDUC 200||Introduction to Classroom Teaching||3 units|
|ECE. 201||Child Development||3 units|
|PSYC 201||Child Development||3 units|
|BIOL 101||Our Biological World||4 units|
|BIOL 110||Principles of Biology||4 units|
|CHEM 114||Survey of Chemistry and Physics||4 units|
|PHYS 114||Survey of Chemistry and Physics||4 units|
|GEOL 210||General Geology||4 units|
|MATH 150||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers||3 units|
|COMM 110||Public Speaking||3 units|
|ENGL 100||Composition||3 units|
|ENGL 105||Composition with Support||5 units|
|ENGL 110||Composition, Literature, and Critical Thinking||3 units|
|GEOG 150||World Regional Geography||3 units|
|HIST 104||World Civilizations I||3 units|
|HIST 201||United States History I||3 units|
|PLSC 200||National, State and Local Government||3 units|
General Education - certified completion of one of the following:
- California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth),
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC/CSU) pattern
Elective courses: If applicable, additional courses to meet the minimum 60 CSU transferable units requirement.
Up to (36) major course units may be double counted to appy to meet general education requirements.
This degree does not require the Skyline College Associate Degree requirements.
Please refer to Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Requirements for more information.